Stevenage was designated Britain’s first new town, following the introduction of the New Town’s Act in 1946.
Six residential neighbourhoods were planned around the town of Stevenage.
The self-contained neighbourhoods each had their own schools, health facilities, shops, community centres
and church and were designed to house 10,000 - 12,000 people.
Of the six neighbourhoods, Bedwell was the first to be developed in 1952 and was closely followed by Broadwater, which began in 1953 and was centred on Shephalbury Park.
Shephall was started in the same year and developed around the original village green.
It was later, during 1960’s that development of the Chells area commenced amidst natural woodland.
Pin Green and St. Nicholas to the east of the town made up the original neighbourhoods, with the newer
developments in the area being Poplars and Symonds Green.